Dover has a rich cultural heritage with many practicing artists, musicians and a thriving drama community.
As part of Dover Big Locals commitment to the Arts a focus group called Dover Big Local Art 31 has been formed, bringing together people of all ages and art practices to share ideas, organise events and network. Regular meetings are held. To find out more contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dover Big Local also has a gallery space at the Hub with a changing temporary exhibitions programme. Artists can book display space. Contact: Sam at email@example.com
DBL Art 31 Forum News
PROJECT UPDATES AND OTHER NEWS
- Paul Dagys has started a live-music group called Dover Beach Buoys. They meet every 3rd Monday of the month in the Louis for an open session called Good Vibrations. Generally the group perform at 8 and then from 9 there is an Open Mic session open to all. The group is looking for new people to get involved.
The Dover Beach Buoys / Good Vibrations event will usually be on the third Monday of the month, but due to a previously scheduled event at the Louis, This month will be 8pm Monday March 27.
The Beach Bards now meets the second Tuesday of the month, next meeting is March 14, at Salle Verte coffe shop, 7pm
- ART31 Gallery: Sam and Christian are now running this together. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in showing work. And please do support the gallery by going to the open nights. There is a Facebook page which I would urge you to “like” @dblgallery / https://www.facebook.com/dblgallery/?ref=br_rsDover Arts Development is starting a new project with young people and is planning to show some of the work in the gallery.There is also a collaborative project coming up with Threads Kent.
- Joanna Jones updated the group on the background to the appearance of THE TABLE now on Charlton Green, by Morrisons. This oversized table was made by Sculptor Anthony Heywood together with Uwe Derksen as a homage to Brancusi’s Table of Silence and as a monument to peace. Furniture made by Cormac is currently awaiting installation and there are some ideas around the introduction of a planting scheme together with Transition Dover. The idea is for THE TABLE to become a place for performance, poetry…and other events.
More info: http://www.dadonline.eu/projects/the-table/We discussed the idea of creating an explanatory plaque and will return to this once all the seating is installed.
- Louisa Love introduced the 100 miles for 100 years project and has invited people to get involved. The idea is to create a trail in Dover which would commemorate local ww1 history through stories and family histories. http://kentww1.com/100-miles-100-years/
- MUSIC FOR CHANGE: http://www.musicforchange.org
Music for Change brings culturally diverse music and dance into the classroom and the community.
Gerry Sterling introduced Music For Change and discussed a project they would like to bring to Dover which involves setting up a community choir. We discussed ensuring there were adequate lead-in times and attendance at community events to publicise the project and encourage people to get involved: e.g. Dover Regatta, Dover Together, etc. They are also planning an Early Years project.
Gerry will get in touch with Trevor at the DBL hub to discuss in more detail and Clare will provide contact details for the Port of Dover and the Samphire project (Dover Together).
All present really liked the idea and would support a bid to DBL.
- DBL ART31 and the Big Draw in partnership with Dover Arts Development: The large collaborative drawing is on display in the hub meeting room.
- Opportunity for Stalls at the Charlton Centre every Sunday: contact Joseph in the cafe.
- Dover Beach Bards, poetry writers group meet every 4th Tuesday of the month, 7-9pm. at La Salle Verte, 15 Cannon St, Dover. Contact email@example.com, tel. 07753 206 992
- St Dominus Day with Dover Tales, 6 May. The St Dominus festival in Dover results from Dover’s cultural connections with Split in Croatia – Split is twinned with Dover. Find out how to get involved by contacting Barry O’Brien: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last year’s St Dominus Day by Dover Tales:
To find out more about St Dominus:
The mobile comics factory tour of round here…
Artist Jim Lockey will be cycling with his Mobile Comics Factory across Kent to create a series of hand made magazines. He will be in Dover on Sunday 13 August from 12am-3pm at The Table on Charlton Green by Morison’s supermarket. All are welcome to take part in the project and contribute Dover edition of this travelling artwork. The event is free and all materials will be provided. A partnership between Dover Arts Development/DAD and Jim Lockey, supported in spirit by Dover Big Local
The finished work will be collected into a series of zines that will become available after the tour as digital downloads and a limited print run.